Tuesday 23 July 2013

Lindisfarne Summer Supperclub

I've been getting pretty used to hanging out at Lindisfarne Castle, I've dropped hints about moving in, but it hasn’t come about yet, strangely... Last weekend saw my first event in collaboration with the National Trust, the Lindisfarne Summer Supperclub. And it was pretty spectacular... I'm only jealous I wasn’t one of the guests dining on the Upper Battery high above Holy Island and the sparkling sea.


  



Twenty guests joined us on a warm Saturday evening for fizzy and canapés overlooking the stunning coastline, the sun even made an appearance after a cloudy warm day. People chatted and got used to their home for the evening, with introductions and a tour of the castle before sitting down to dine.

It has been months of hard work to bring it all together, but well worth the effort. Wandering round the castle, chatting to the lovely guests, composing the menu, even overheating in my castle kitchen trying to get everything ready on time, I enjoyed every second! It is such a beautiful peaceful place and I hope the first of many events to come there.



  


Our guests started their feast with a seafood smorgasbord, local langoustine, roll mop herring, devilled eggs with dill, buttermilk bread and homemade butter, samphire and watercress salad and Farne Island lobster. I picked the beautiful little fellas up from Seahouses harbour early that morning and drove straight up to Holy Island, they couldn’t have been fresher. The main course was slow braised lamb with shallots and garlic, anchovy Pan Haggerty, garlicky courgettes and condimint, a date, mint and horseradish jam, recipe courtesy of the legendary Joe Beef, that is delicous!


  


The bright red sun set over the Cheviots during supper and it couldn’t have looked more magical. I wonder how many people in the past have sat in that spot for supper, not many I imagine, I felt very lucky to be there... Pudding was a Lemon and Rosemary Posset with clotted cream and almond meringues and finally coffee with Chocolate Black Pudding.

This weekend sees the the next event on the Farne Islands, fingers crossed for more beautiful weather...





 


2 comments:

  1. That looks stunning, congratulations! Hope the weather stays kind for you! I'll have to look up joe beef, that's a new one to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Yes I'm hoping for sunshine all summer, but that might be too much to hope for! Luckily they are amazing places even in the rain and wind!

      Definitely look up Joe Beef, I want to fly to Montreal just to visit their restaurant, and their cookbook is brilliant...

      Anna x

      Delete

Happy cooking! Let me know if you make any of my recipes, send a picture, and let me know any of your own recipes and tips! Anna x